in DC, MD, VA & in your house.
We love hummus! Our favorite kind to get is Asmar’s Extra Garlic Hommus which is a local brand here in the D.C. area. I always read the ingredients when we buy most anything and I noticed that hummus didn’t have that many so I thought I’d try making hummus at home & here is what I came up with.
[ Ingredients ]
- 2 cans cooked garbanzo beans (reserve 1 tablespoon garbanzo beans & 3/4 cup of the liquid)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (I use Lakewood Organic Pure Lemon Juice)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 teaspoon salt (start with 1/2 & see if you’d like to add more)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- paprika (to taste)
- cumin (to taste)
[ Process ]
- place garbanzos, reserved liquid, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, & salt in a high speed blender or food processor & make sure to secure the lid
- blend until creamy
- transfer the hummus in a container (scrape
- garnish with reserved garbanzo beans
- pour olive oil
- sprinkle paprika & cumin
Serve with with whole wheat pita, crackers or raw vegetables like carrots, cucumbers & celery. If you’d like it not so garlicky, just leave in 1 garlic. Makes 3 cups.